To Report a Leak:
Normal Business Hours 864-862-0042
After Hours 864-862-4461
Natural gas is a colorless and odorless gas that is lighter than air and is predominantly made up of methane.
For safety reasons, an odorant is added to give natural gas its distinctive smell.
Although natural gas is non-toxic, it can still be dangerous. When mixed with certain concentrations of air, it can ignite if exposed to a naked flame or spark. The distinctive odor helps to ensure that even small leaks can be detected quickly.
- If the pilot light of an appliance goes out, turn off the gas at the appliance for several minutes before you attempt to re-light it. You should find instruction attached to the appliance.
- Pilot lights and main burners on gas appliances should always produce a blue flame. If the flame is yellow or red, call for service as soon as possible to investigate the problem.
- Use a gas appliance only for its intended purpose. An oven, for example, should not be used to heat a room.
- Never store or use flammable liquids (such as gas, paint, paint thinner, cleaning fluids, aerosols etc.) in the same room with any gas appliance, or near a flue outlet.
- Never store rags, paper or other combustibles near floor or wall furnace grilles.
- Never store combustibles near an appliance with a pilot light or open flame.
- Have qualified hvac service technicians install and maintain all gas appliances.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for the installation and operation of each appliance.
- Have your gas-fired equipment serviced and cleaned regularly
Posted on Thu, April 19, 2012